139 - Shopping carts are hard
- No live stream tonight, My internet has been super patchy today so I’m not even going to try.
- Unfortunately no PHP 8 short this week. It has been recorded, I just haven’t had the chance to upload and do the thumbnail yet.
- We documented the 7th lesson of the new PHP course. This included some TDD, some array nesting and some PHP 8 array shapes
Shopping carts are hard
A shopping cart needs to be frictional-less to the end user (Customer). The quicker a customer can purchase a product the better.
There are many questions that need to be answered when designing the user flow of a shopping cart
These are just some things to think about:
- Will you be shipping a physical good and if so will the shipping cost be dependent on user location?
- Will shipping be based on the item(s) weight?
- Will shipping be discounted in certain regions?
- Will you require shipping information to make a payment (Security checks)?
- Will there be discounted shipping based on quantity?
- Will there be a quantity limit based on different regions?
- What currency will you be offering?
- What is the conversion rate?
- How will you track that?
- What are the tax implications for you versus the customer?
- How are you going to calculate tax?
- Will you require an actual user to login before and order is created?
- Can someone make a guest account?
- Will there be teams or individual accounts?
- Will you require the customer to be verified before making a purchase. Some places like Stripe require a user email address?
- Is it a digital good?
- Will there be stock?
- How will the stock be recorded/monitored?
- How will an out of stock product be displayed?
- Can products be bundled?
- Do bundled products get a discount?
- How are products removed from the cart?
- How are products updated on the cart?
- How are quantities updated on the cart?
- What happens when a logged out user access the checkout page?
- What happens to abandoned carts?
- What defines an abandoned cart?
- At what point does the cart get created in the database?
- At what point does the cart get associated with the user?
Other items to consider