149 - Sugar that syntax
How to support Ukraine https://supportukrainenow.org/
- I’m working back in the land of legacy. PHP 5.6
- Goose (My 2nd English Springer Spaniel) is now 9 weeks old and has razor teeth.
- I’ve been working on using Vagrant, Docker, Parallels and Ansible to create a test lab for HTCW
- We reviewed the documentation for tutorial 5 and 6 of the PHP login course on Tuesdays live coding stream
- I am talking at PHP North West Drupal User Group NWDUG next Tuesday at 7PM so I won’t be streaming on YouTube on Tuesday
What is Syntax Sugar
This is a term used to describe code that is meant to be more readable and helpful to humans.
- It’s sometimes called Candygramming
- Can shorten code to one liners which can be helpful and easier to read
- Can be difficult to change and maintain in the future
- Can lead to hidden magic features that are used in the language eg _get and _set
- Is sometime perceived as a lazy way to write code
- Reduces the syntax needed to perform an operation
- If done badly then it can lead to over complication, bad abstraction and even worse code readability then before